Committed to providing a safe and supportive place for children and youth, the Boys and Girls Club of Ottawa (BGCO) has served the Ottawa community since 1923, reaching out to 4,500 children and youth each year through after-school, weekend and summer programs that build self-esteem and help to develop stronger social skills.
We are pleased to be turning out #GivingBack Challenge attention to the Boys and Girls Club of Ottawa and their commitment to providing a solid foundation for Ottawa-area children and youth. Though not previously involved with the Boys and Girls Club of Ottawa as a firm, various members of Various members of the Barry J. Hobin team have had personal connections over the years are pleased to be working with BGCO now on the renovation of their McArthur Avenue Clubhouse.
The McArthur Avenue Clubhouse will close temporarily, relocating programs and services to the nearby Ottawa Technical Secondary School (OTSS) at 485 Donald Street, while the existing Clubhouse is be retrofitted and updated to create more usable space – a project being led by Sandy Davis for Barry J. Hobin and Associates.
The current 20,605 square foot building was built in 1970 and is one of 8 Ottawa-area Boys and Girl Club locations. In 2013, nearly 1,100 children and youth aged six to 18 made more than 22,500 visits to the McArthur Avenue Clubhouse which currently suffers from several issues related to the roof and windows, heating system and electrical – not to mention the almost 35% of unusable space currently occupied by a closed pool.
When complete, the rejuvenated space will better server the community’s needs and will effectively accommodate the high demands on the facility. Updates will include a new roof, fire alarm system, hydro upgrade, HVAC system, relocated and expanded kitchen and food preparation areas, relocated and upgraded washroom facilities and the creation of an indoor sports field in place of the currently closed pool.
You can support the Boys and Girls Club of Ottawa by making a donation.